Thursday, April 24, 2014

Ten things I am looking forward to when I get home

  1. A mattress more than 2 inches thick (my dear, sweet bed: I'll see you in 48ish hours).
  2. Being able to walk into a store without having three people yell at me. At every shop here, every shop employee is pretty much required to yell 'Irashaimase! (Welcome!)' at you, with some rehearsed statement that they don't even look at you for. Today, an employee at Uniqlo kept yelling this shpiel at me while I was standing next to him; he was restocking shelves, I was looking at T-shirts. It really wasn't necessary. Yesterday I went to a restaurant and the waiter only paid a minimal amount of attention to me and it was glorious.
  3. Coffee that is less that $3.50 a cup.
  4. Interacting with people on the street, in any capacity other than 'Sumimasen (Excuse me)'.
  5. Ordering something and knowing EXACTLY what I'll be getting. I can't remember the last time I ordered a full meal without some sort of surprise waiting for me, be it a plate of pickles, a topping or sauce I wasn't expecting, or an extra course I didn't know was coming.
  6. Filling awkward silences at meals. I'm looking forward to not having to re-read books on my phone to make up for the fact that I'm eating alone at a counter with no one else that speaks my language.
  7. Cooked fish.
  8. Forks. 
  9. Desserts that are not French pastries and do not involve bean paste.
  10. Milk. For some reason, milk here has a funky twang here. I'm chalking this up to pasteurization/homogenization differences between countries (Europe had a twang as well, though a different one). This includes everything from milk in coffee and coffee drinks to ice cream (which almost invariably has a twang, or is icy, or both).

No comments:

Post a Comment